Essays & Interviews
Etta’s essays and reviews have appeared in publications as varied as Early American Literature, New England Quarterly, Legacy: A Journal of American Women Writers, Communal Societies, Utopian Studies, The Cambridge History of Religions in America, and The Cultural Encyclopedia of Vegetarianism.
- "Emily Bliss Gould: An American in Italy." History in the Margins. October 1, 2022.
- "Trailing Spouse or Career Carver?" SUNY Press Blog. March 20, 2022.
- “Food.” Palgrave Handbook of Utopian and Dystopian Literatures, Eds. Fátima Vieira, Jennifer Wagner-Lawlor, Peter Marks. Springer Publishing. 2022.
- “Future Visions at Villaggio Verde.” Communities Magazine. Winter 2019. Passing the Torch: Generational Shifts in Community.
- “Caroline Crane Marsh (1816-1901).” The Bluestocking Bulletin. June-July 2019.
- “Ambasciatrice, Activist, Auntie, Author: Caroline Crane Marsh.” New York Public Library, Short Term Research Fellows. December 19, 2018.
- Travels, Translations and Limitations: Ambasciatrice Caroline Crane Marsh Transatlantica: American Studies Journal. 2018.1
- “Against Utopia.” Just Teach One, Common-Place, the journal of early American life.
- “Anne Hampton Brewster.” The Bluestocking Bulletin. June-July 2017.
Online interviews and presentations:
- Author Interview. Biographers International Organization (BIO) podcast #103. October 16, 2022.
- "Anne Hampton Brewster--St. Martin's Summer." Lost Ladies of Lit podcast. October 11, 2022.
- "The Happier Therapist Who Writes." ReConceive podcast. October 4, 2022.
- "Little-Known Women." An essay interview with Ellora Bultema, Missouri State University. February 3, 2022.
- “Science Fiction, Dystopia, and How it Relates to Real Life.” A STEM Spots interview with Dr. David Cornelison on NPR-affiliate KSMU October 22, 2020.
- “Mediterranean Quarantine: Perspectives of a Person of Privilege.” Fireside Chat. Library Company of Philadelphia. April 23, 2020.
- “A Literature Professor's Take on the History of Science.” A STEM Spots interview with Dr. David Cornelison on NPR-affiliate KSMU February 8, 2020.
Other essays related to Engaging Italy:
- Nineteenth-Century News from Rome
- “Anne Hampton Brewster’s St. Martin’s Summer and Utopian Literary Discourses.” in Utopian Studies 28.2 (2017).
- “American Anne Hampton Brewster’s Social Circles: Bagni di Lucca, 1873, and Roman Rodolfo Lanciani.” in Questioni di Genere: Femminilità e Effeminatezza nella Cultura Vitoriana. Ed. Roberta Ferrari e Laura Giovannelli. (Bononia UP 2016).
Recent essays on utopian literature and intentional communities:
- Review of Rod Dreher’s The Benedict Option: A Strategy for Christians in a Post-Christian Nation. (Penguin Random House, 2018.) Forthcoming in Communal Societies.
- Review of Timothy Miller’s Communes in America, 1975-2000. (Syracuse UP 2019) in Religion, State and Society 48.1 (2020).
- Review of Adrienne Rose Bitar’s Diet and the Disease of Civilization. (Rutgers UP 2018) in Utopian Studies 29.2 (2018).
- Review of Mark Sundeen’s The Unsettlers: In Search of the Good Life in Today’s America. (Riverhead 2016) in Communal Societies 37.1 (2017).